What you need to know about extreme poverty
1. Extreme poverty is defined by per capita consumption below one dollar per day, measured in local prices.
2. One billion people lived on less than one dollar per day in 2011.
3. Four countries had together more than 50% of the world's poor: India (30%), Nigeria (10%), China (8%) and Bangladesh (6%).
4. The World Bank estimates that in 2030 there will be 400 million poor people, and 80% of them will live in Africa (DRC, Nigeria, Madagascar, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Burundi).
5. The major part of the reduction in world poverty has taken place in China, while India is expected to be on the fore-front during the next 15 years. The World Bank estimates a 90% reduction of poverty in India by 2030.