Senior Researcher (social anthropology)
CMI seeks an experienced social anthropologist who can strengthen the institute’s disciplinary, thematic and regional expertise, and is keen to work within thematically oriented, multi-disciplinary research teams.
We seek a researcher who will strengthen our existing research areas or has the capacity to develop new research agendas focusing on key global challenges (e.g., humanitarian assistance, migration, climate change). The right candidate has a desire to generate knowledge that can be used by practitioners and policy-makers, and is willing and able to reach out to these audiences.
Researchers at CMI are expected to develop and secure funding for new research projects as well as to conduct relevant commissioned research. They also collaborate extensively with international research networks, extending to colleagues in developing countries and fragile states.
- PhD degree and at least 3 years of experience
- Relevant research and field experience. Interest and ability to work across several themes and countries/regions is an asset
- Established publication record in peer-reviewed outlets
- Interest in and ability to communicate research to practitioners and policy makers
- Fluency in English, including excellent writing skills, other languages an asset
- Ability to raise funding for academic research and commissioned studies
- Experience in project management
- Self-starting, creative, and flexible
- Ability to work well with teams
The position will be at mid- or senior level, based on qualifications. Start date: Autumn 2016.
- The chance to be part of the leading multidisciplinary development research institute in Scandinavia and to shape our research agenda and communication outreach
- The opportunity to work with top international researchers in our network
- A permanent position with a competitive salary based on qualifications
- Assistance with moving from abroad
- A conducive environment for families with children
Bergen is situated between fjords and mountains, and is a city with excellent opportunities for an active lifestyle.
The application deadline is 15 June 2016. We only accept applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit the following to the above address, citing ‘Social anthropologist’ in the subject field:
- Application letter outlining your qualifications, personal qualities and motivation for applying, as well as your present research agenda and funding sources
- Outline of a research idea (research theme, methodology and potential users) (1-2 pages)
- Publication list and copies of relevant publications (max 4)
- Three references, including phone numbers and e-mail addresses
- One reference letter