Vacancy: Researchers global development (e.g., economics / political science / social anthropology)
CMI invites applications from engaged, entrepreneurial, and academically strong researchers. We have several vacant positions, open to both senior and junior researchers.
As a researcher at CMI, you identify with CMI’s vision to generate and communicate knowledge for global development and justice. You produce high quality research addressing key development challenges, are keen to see knowledge making an impact on practice and policy, and engage with policy makers, practitioners and the academic community. You develop new projects and acquire project funding, and you are a team player who want to build strong research groups and foster an enabling work environment.
We are primarily looking for social scientists with an interest in cross-disciplinary work.
We are particularly interested in the following methodological skills:
• Quantitative skills
• Impact- and process evaluation skills
We are particularly interested in thematic expertise in the following areas:
• Climate adaptation / food security
• Governance / fragile states
• Poverty and private sector development
• Taxation and public finance
• Gender based violence
• Rights and legal institutions
• Global health
Knowledge of development policy is an advantage.
• A doctoral degree
• A scientific publication record
• Solid research competence, methods and writing skills
Please describe your thematic research experience and interests, your methodological skills and how they relate to CMIs thematic research topics (www.cmi.no) and CMIs strategy.
Other key qualifications
In order to thrive at CMI, you need a set of qualifications beyond being a strong academic. Please describe your experience in each of the areas below. Limited competence in one area can be compensated by a stronger record in others. We expect less from junior researchers than from seniors.
• Project development skills and entrepreneurship. All research at CMI requires fundraising, and our researchers are the driving force in project development. Fundraising entails writing proposals and communicating with potential funders. An entrepreneurial attitude is essential. Please give a detailed account of your skills, experience, and track record with project
development and fundraising.
• Engagement with policy and practice. CMI aims to provide research-based knowledge that informs and inspires policy and practice. This entails interaction with user groups, policymakers and practitioners. Please describe your experiences and relevant skills.
• Field experience. Field experience is important for gaining deep insight about development challenges. Please describe your experience.
• Versatility. Working at CMI, it is an advantage to be interested in a variety of themes and geographical areas, and to be open to different methodological and disciplinary approaches. Please indicate any thematic, geographic or methodological interests beyond your current
focus and describe your experience with and attitude to cross-disciplinary work.
• Project leadership. Researchers at CMI often manage their own projects, with the support of a professional administration. Please account for your experience and/or skills with leading and administering research.
• Research collaboration. Research at CMI involves collaboration with leading international research institutions, including partners in the south. Please account for your collaborative experiences.
• Popular dissemination. The impact of CMIs research comes partly through popular dissemination and engagement in public debates of relevance to our research. Please account for your experience and skills in working with the media (including social media) or other channels for popular dissemination.
Candidates are encouraged to outline new research ideas for future development of their own research, including thoughts of specific funding opportunities and research partners.
• The opportunity to be part of the leading multidisciplinary development research institute in Scandinavia and to shape our research agenda and communication outreach
• A permanent position or tenure track position depending on level of seniority
• Remuneration commensurate with qualifications and experience
• Assistance with moving from abroad
• A conducive environment for families with children
Bergen is a cosmopolitan city situated between fjords and mountains, with excellent opportunities for cultural experiences and an active lifestyle.
How to apply
We welcome applications on a running basis to Jobbnorge.no, job ID 180652. Please use the application template provided by Jobbnorge. We will reply within three weeks.
Please submit the following:
• Application letter, including ideas for future research. Please use this template.
• CV (include information relevant to the items listed above, including information that sheds light on your degree of personal initiative.)
• Copies of a maximum of three academic pieces for evaluation.
• A minimum of three references, including phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
• One reference letter.
Questions can be directed to: email@example.com.
Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) is an independent development research institute based in Bergen, Norway, with around 70 staff members. In cooperation with partners from all over the world, we address key development challenges in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. We combine high quality research with an engagement to make knowledge accessible and used. The main disciplines are economics, political science, and social anthropology.