Director for the U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre
The Chr. Michelsen Institute in Bergen, Norway, invites interested candidates to apply for the position as Director for the U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre.
The position is available from the 1st of August 2021.
U4 – A leading centre for Anti-Corruption expertise
Since 2003, the Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) has run and housed the U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre (U4) with funding from several bilateral aid agencies. U4 works to reduce the harmful impact of corruption on society by sharing research-based knowledge to enhance the results of international development cooperation.
The U4 funding partners’ development agendas inspire our independent research. U4’s international team of anti-corruption researchers apply academic rigour to explain the complex nature of corruption. U4’s purpose is to communicate practical entry-points and build capacity for reducing corruption – through dialogue, publications, online training, workshops, and a helpdesk.
CMI is an independent development research institute with around 80 employees. We address a broad range of global development challenges – by providing research-based knowledge that informs and inspires policy and practice.
To shape the future with us, we need you to be our:
We are a team of highly competent and dedicated staff with diverse academic and professional backgrounds. We look to you to inspire team collaboration and nurture our skills and competencies. You guide our strategic thinking and steer processes for choosing optimal priorities. You supervise and support us in our efforts to deliver what we promise, with high quality.
CMI and U4’s well-established relationship with the funding partners is based on continual engagement and mutual understanding about what practitioners and researchers need to advance the anti-corruption field. You thrive as a spokesperson and networker who represents CMI and U4 in the partner group and international fora. Your communication efforts ensure that U4 is visible in the anti-corruption and development community. This is essential for securing funding from existing and new partners.
CMI management team member:
U4 represents a large proportion of CMI’s overall work. You are therefore a member of the CMI management team and report to the CMI Director. You help develop CMI’s overall strategy while ensuring that U4 perspectives influence management decisions. You promote good working relations between the U4 team and other CMI units.
Qualifications and Personal Skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills:
- Strategic thinking and practice
- Effective and clear communication
- Foster positive collaboration
- Ability to motivate independent and qualified staff
- Be a good listener
- Ability to build trust, internally and externally.
- Demonstrated excellent management skills:
- Efficient and organised
- Set priorities and make effective decisions on operational matters
- Be a team-builder
- Ability to lead a multi-national and multi-disciplinary team.
- Professional experience in development policy and/or practice. Good understanding of bilateral and multilateral development cooperation. Deep knowledge of governance in development.
- Experience with fundraising.
- Solid understanding of the value of research-based knowledge in addressing development challenges.
- Engagement for developing effective ways of communicating knowledge, including on digital platforms.
- Relevant Master-level education. A PhD is an advantage.
- Proficiency in English (working language at U4/CMI). Norwegian and French are an advantage.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Commitment to U4 and CMI’s purpose and mission.
We can offer you:
- The opportunity to be a driving force at a centre that is highly regarded internationally – located within Scandinavia’s leading development research institute.
- An exciting opportunity to combine knowledge generation with policy influence.
- A central position in an inspiring working relationship with multiple bilateral donors committed to reducing the harmful effects of corruption.
- Good pension-, insurance-, and welfare schemes.
- A positive work-life balance and great outdoors opportunities around Bergen.
Apply online via JobbNorge (https://www.jobbnorge.no/)
Deadline: 31 March 2021
Do you have questions?
Tlf: (+47) 481 89 504