The Syrian War
The UiB Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies at the Department of Archaeology, History, Culture Studies and Religion, together with the Departments of Education and Comparative Politics are organizing a one-day conference on the Syrian War.
The Syrian chaos triggered in 2011 is presently the world’s #1 problem which has been exacerbated by Saudi Arabia’s showdown with Iran. It involves not only Syrian government and the armed opposition/rebel groups but also the U.S., Russia, Turkey and Islamic State, in addition to a host of other actors such as the Kurds, UK, France, Germany, NATO, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon and China, as well as Sunnis and Shias and others.
Among the confirmed speakers are:
- Opening by rector of the University of Bergen, Dag Rune Olsen
- Professor Knut Vikør, Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion
- Post.doc. Teije Donker, Department of Comparative Politics
- Professor Kariane Westrheim, Department of Education
- Senior Researcher and associate professor Kjetil Selvik, Chr. Michelsen Institut and Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo
- other expert guest speakers
Date: February 15, 2016 (Monday) from 9:00 to 16:00
Venue: UiB Faculty of Law – Auditorium 1 (Magnus Lagabøtes plass 1)
Registrations are open and can be made by email to Jorge.Queiroz@student.uib.no (on a first come basis up to the auditorium capacity)