2016 Bergen Exchanges on Law & Social Transformation
Welcome to Centre on Law & Social Transformations annual seminar Bergen Exchanges at Bergen Resource Centre for International Development.
Monday 22 August: Inequality & the Law
- Opening of the 2016 Bergen Exchanges
- Can courts pursue social justice while respecting democracy?
- 2016 Chr. Michelsen Prize Lecture & Roundtable
- Francesca R. Jensenius: Can electoral quotas advance social justice?
- Researching Law & (in)Equality • Who benefits from Speech Rights?
- Can law heal? Legal determinants of inequalities in health & rights-based approaches to health reform (Venue: Knut Fægis Hus)
Tuesday 23 August
- Identity, politics & law in global battles over homosexuality
- Criminalizing immorality how to study political drivers & backlash effects?
- Studying health effects of criminal law
- Child Rights in Norway: Implementation and Effects
- Threats to the independence of the judiciary
Wednesday 24 August
- Responsible evidence appraisal
- Assessing socio-economic effects of incarceration
- Trans-Gender Lawfare
- Building databases for empirical legal studies
- Annual Lecture by Charles Epp: What makes Climate Change Litigation Effective? (venue: Litteraturhuset i Bergen)
Thursday 25 August: Lives & Law in Flux: migrant mobilization & refugee rights
- Irregular Migrants and Mobilization for Rights in European Countries
- Susan Banki: A Theory of Refugee Homeland Activism
- Mobilizing in Exile: Syrian Refugee and Diaspora Mobilization
- Precarious rights of LGBT refugees
- Quo Vadis Refugee Convention? (Venue UiB, Law School, Auditorium 4)
Friday 26 August
- Land rights & inclusive sustainable development in india
- Water Rights – Evidence of impact?
- Racial Disparities in Policing in the United States